In a previous article I asked what it would take for the iPhone to reach 20% of the world’s smartphone market? (answer: 50% growth).
- the number of total wireless subscribers world-wide
- the number of 3G subscribers
- the number of smartphones sold every year 2007 to 2013
The forecast for 2013 is:
- total subs: 6.2 billion
- total 3G subs: 2.4 billion (38% of all WW users)
- 660 million smartphones sold in 2013
I also computed the installed base of iPhones based on units sold per year according to the following schedule: 100% of iPhones in use during first year, 75% in use after second year, 50% in use in the third year, 25% in the fourth and 0% in the fifth and after.
If the iPhone can sustain 50% growth then the following are possible in 2013:
- 4% of world’s users using an iPhone (248 million iphone users)
- 10% of 3G users are using the iPhone
- 21% of smartphones purchased are iPhones