“So paradoxically, the opinion of those who are highly paid should be treated with suspicion while the opinion of those subject to peer review should be treated with respect. It brings to mind the difference between highly paid fortune tellers and pundits whose methods are obscure vs. poorly paid graduate students whose methods are open to all. Whose opinion is worth more?”
To read more see Horace Dediu on the bad habits of Apple analysts and why Tim Cook shouldn’t be fired – The Next Web
Arrive in the office, make a cup of coffee, open up your email, and turn up your favorite song. We know how it goes.
Check out Steven Jengo’s new single, summer of 2042.
Fresh tunes with a softly different touch; with that kind of familiar sound, simple and melodic, deep and lazy, freshly brewed for your listening pleasure.
Take care when driving at high volume. Find more at jengo.com.
Sponsorship by The Syndicate
According to Strategy Analytics 3 million Windows-based tablets shipped in Q1. That is not inconsequential. It would add 4% to the total Windows-based computers and reduce the decline in Windows PC growth to -8% (from -11%). You can see the effect of those units on share in the following graphs.
The Apple Q1 financial performance review with a short look at the impact of warranties on gross margins. The growth question: why financial analysis cannot offer insights into new product creation, and why makers of things think different. Finally, a new installment into Asymcar: why the process of car making is over-integrated, over-serving, and over-concentrated.
5by5 | The Critical Path #82: Adding Rows.
iTunes (including software and services) revenues in Q1 topped $4 billion and were 30% higher than (re-stated) 2012 Q1 revenues. Accompanying this revenue figure were additional data points from the company:
- Cumulative app downloads have surpassed 45 billion
- Payments to developers reached a cumulative total of $9 billion
- Payments to developers were $4.5 billion in most recent four quarters
- Now paying $1 billion to developers every quarter
- 800 apps are downloaded every second
- iOS app revenues doubled since year-ago quarter
- App Store accounted for 74% of all app sales in the quarter (citing Canalys)
- App stores reach customers in 155 countries (850k Apps, 350k iPad apps)
- iTunes music downloads are available in 119 countries (35 million songs)
- Movies are sold in 109 countries (60k titles)
- iBookstore is available in 155 countries (1.75 million titles)
This data allows for a few inferences: